A screw conveyor or auger conveyor is a mechanism that uses a rotating helical screw blade, called a "flighting", usually within a tube, to move liquid or granular materials. They are used in many bulk handling industries.
In general, screw conveyors are made up of the following elements:
- The screw conveyor trough, which can feature a trough cover (depending on the specific design)
- The conveyor screw, consisting of helical flighting, the screw
shaft with a drive shaft, end bearing shaft, and seals.
- A drive unit, consisting of a shaft coupling or a chain drive
- The drive mechanism itself
- The bearing for the screw shaft
- A feed spout and a discharge spout